Day 1: Pick-up from Kampala and transfer to Mount Elgon National Park
Day 2: Hike Sasa trail to Mude Cave (15.5 km). About 6 Hours;
Day 3: This day you ascend from Mude Cave gradually to Wagagai Peak later descend back overnight at Mude Cave. (18 Km). About 4 Hours;
Day 4: Descend to the Caldera and Hot Springs (Hunters Cave Camp). (10.5 Km). About 3 Hours;
Day 5; Piswa Patrol Hut and return to Kampala
End of Elgon Hiking safari
Included in the safari package:
Excluded in the package:
|Day 1: Entebbe/Kampala – Mount Elgon National Park|
Pickup from your hotel by our Safari driver guide and transfer to Mount Elgon in Eastern Uganda via Jinja with a stop over at the source of River Nile. The Mt Elgon is said to have one of the largest surface areas of any extinct volcano in the world. This Mount first erupted 24 million years ago, is endowed with the most beautiful caves, cliffs, gorges and waterfalls in the country. Hikers hiking Mt Elgon are treated to great scenery and
various wildlife species like buffalo, monkeys, elephant, antelope, and over 300 species of birds. Stop over in Mbale for lunch.
Dinner and overnight at the Sipi River lodge or Lacam lodge orSipi Falls Rest Camp(BLD)
Day 2: Hike – Sasa Trail – Mt. Elgon (15.5 Km). About 6 hour
After breakfast you’ll take a full day on the Sasa Trail to see the dramatic landscapes from the high altitude and moorland. Ascend via the Sasa trail and then descend via the Piswa trail. This journey takes approximately 6 hours. From Budadiri following the trail that leads to Sasa River Camp where you climb up to Mude Cave campsite, form this point you may either choose to continue climbing up to Jackson’s summit 4,192 m (2 hrs climb)and back or relax at the camp as you enjoy the site and sound.
Day 3: Hike from Mude Cave-Wagagai Peak-Mude Cave. (18 km) about 4 hours:
After breakfast early in the morning, hike from Mude Cave ascend to Wagagai Peak (4,321 m). Later descend to Mud Camp for the night..
Day 4: From Mude Cave descend to the Caldera and Hot Springs(10.5km) about 3 hours
From Mude Cave descend to the Caldera and Hot Springs. overnight saty at Hunters cave camp
Day 5:Piswa Patrol Hut and return to Kampala
From the Hunter’s Cave Camp check out and descend to Piswa Patrol Hut. Return to Kampala via Mbale and Jinja town if time allows make a stop over at the source of the Nile and later processed to Kampala
End of Safari
Day 2: Kapkwai – Hike Mt. Elgon
After breakfast proceed to Kapkwai at the exploration center in the Chebonet valley the starting point for briefing start ascending the spectacular mountain Bamboo Trail travel across the River 7km to the Southern rim of the gorge. This 7km (four-hour) mountain bamboo trail covers the a 3 km walk to Kapkwai Cave, 5km walk to Chebonet Falls, tropical rain forest and bamboo forest follow the ridge view trail. Along the trail are many primates, birds and rare trees such as Elgon teak and Elgon olive. Picnic lunch. Overnight at the Rest Camp.
Day 3: Hike – Sasa Trail – Mt. Elgon
After breakfast we’ll take a full day on the Sasa Trail to see the dramatic landscapes from the high altitude and moorland. Have a Picnic lunch en-route. Dinner and overnight at the Rest Camp.
Day 4: Nature Walk – Return Trip – Kampala
After breakfast we’ll take a short forest walk. Drive back to Kampala in the afternoon.
End of safari
Included in the package
- Park Entrance Fees.
- Park Ranger Fees.
- Porters and chef fees.
- Equipment Fees.
- Relevant Government Taxes.
- Full Board Accommodation as indicated in the Itinerary (4nights).
- Full time English speaking Driver/Guide
- Ground Transportation by a 4×4 safari vehicle
- Airport transfer provided your flight is on the same day on which the safari ends.
Optional – Safari add on
- There is also an 11km hike to the Tutum Cave, with the option of camping overnight beside the cave
- In Wanale, a visit to Khauka Cave takes three to four hours. Alternatively you can go to the viewpoint through Nabuyoga loop where you can see Jackson’s Summit and Wagagai peak.
- In Budadiri, short day hikes are available covering the Mudagi Cliffs, Sasa River Camp and Drigana lower falls. These are great for bird watching, nature walks and overnight camping.
The package excludes
- Tips and gratuities
- Drinks and bar bills
- Personal Insurance
- Any other expense of personal nature such as; personal insurance, drinks, tips, laundry, telephone, cigarettes, accommodation & meals not indicated in the itinerary and optional activities.
- Personal Insurance
- Visa Fees